According to homethodology, Loretto, Kentucky is a small rural town located in Marion County with a population of just over 1,000 people. The geography of Loretto is typical of many small towns in the Midwest; it is mostly flat and surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. The climate in Loretto is generally mild, with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Loretto dates back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by German immigrants. It was incorporated as a city in 1847 and has remained relatively unchanged since then. Politically, Loretto is a conservative town with strong ties to the Republican Party.
The economy of Loretto largely revolves around agriculture and farming, although there are some small businesses in town as well. There are also several schools located in Loretto, including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and community college.
Finally, there are several landmarks that make up the history of Loretto such as the Old Stone Church which was built in 1878 and serves as an important part of the town’s identity; the Marion County Courthouse which has been standing since 1855; and Stony Point Cemetery which houses many famous figures from Loretto’s past such as Confederate General Basil Duke who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.
Population: 623. Estimated population in July 2020: 650 (+4.3% change)
Males: 317 (50.9%), Females: 306 (49.1%)
Zip code: 40037
Median resident age: 36.0 years
Median household income: $30,000
Median house value: $65,400
Races in Loretto:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.4%)
Ancestries: United States (42.7%), Irish (11.2%), English (5.8%), German (2.1%).
Elevation: 744 feet
Land area: 3.5 square miles
Loretto, Kentucky is a small rural town located in Marion County. It has a population of around 1,000 people and is known for its farming community and small-town charm. The cost of living in Loretto is relatively low compared to other parts of the state. The median home price in Loretto is around $90,000, which is significantly lower than the national average of $231,200. Rent prices are also quite low with the median rent being just under $700 per month. Utility costs are also quite low with electricity costing only around $100 per month and water averaging around $25 per month. The overall cost of living index for Loretto is about 15 percent below the national average.
Although Loretto is a small town, it still offers plenty of amenities for its residents and visitors alike. There are several restaurants and stores located within the city limits as well as a few parks for outdoor activities such as hiking and biking trails. The local library provides educational resources for those who wish to further their knowledge or just explore new topics. Additionally, there are several churches in town that offer spiritual guidance to those who seek it out. Overall, Loretto provides a comfortable lifestyle at an affordable price for its residents and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Loretto
- High school or higher: 69.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Loretto city
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 8.5%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -196 (-23.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Loretto:
- NORTON SPRING VIEW HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; LEBANON, KY)
- FLAGET MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; BARDSTOWN, KY)
- TAYLOR CO HOSP (about 19 miles; CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Loretto:
- LOUISVILLE INTL-STANDIFORD FIELD (about 44 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: SDF)
- BLUE GRASS (about 61 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Abbreviation: LEX)
- BOWLING GREEN-WARREN COUNTY RGNL (about 86 miles; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Abbreviation: BWG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Loretto:
- LEBANON-SPRINGFIELD (about 11 miles; SPRINGFIELD, KY; Abbreviation: 6I2)
- SAMUELS FIELD (about 14 miles; BARDSTOWN, KY; Abbreviation: BRY)
- TAYLOR COUNTY (about 21 miles; CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: AAS)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Loretto:
- ELIZABETHTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; ELIZABETHTOWN, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,217)
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE (about 43 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 15,514)
- SULLIVAN UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,342)
- BELLARMINE UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)
- JEFFERSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,290)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTHEAST (about 56 miles; NEW ALBANY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 4,355)
- UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY (about 67 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 20,492)
Public primary/middle school in Loretto:
- WEST MARION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 521; Location: 8175 LORETTO RD; Grades: PK – 05)