Causes of Breast Pain in Man
Just like women, men may also feel discomfort in the breasts, which in most cases is caused by shocks in the breast during a physical activity or at work or even due to the irritation of the nipple due to friction with the shirt, for example.
Although it usually does not signify serious situations, it is important to investigate the causes of breast pain in man, it may represent a fibroadenoma or the presence of cysts in the breast, which can be benign or malignant, and should be conducted biopsy of breast tissue to be analyzed the characteristics of the cells.
The main causes
The pain in breast of man is not normally the sign of cancer, because the malignant tumors usually only cause pain when they are already in more advanced stages. Thus, the main causes of pain in the male breast are:
- Lesions in the breast, which can occur due to shocks sustained during physical activity or at work;
- The nipple of the corridor, which are nipples itchy or with blood due to friction of the chest on the shirt during the practice race.
- Mastitis, which corresponds to the painful inflammation of the breasts, being rare to happen in men;
- Cyst in the breast, which despite being more common in women, can also occur in men and is characterized by pain when pressing on the surrounding tissue of the breast.
- Gynecomastia, which corresponds to the growth of breasts in men and that can happen due to excess glandular breast tissue, excess weight, or endocrine disease, for example.
- Fibroadenoma, a breast tumor benign, but that is rare in men.
In spite of the serious causes of pain in the breast, such as cancer, for example, being more rare in men, those who have history in the family should do self-examination of the breasts every 3 months at least to check for the presence of swelling and lumps, for example.
What to do
In the presence of pain in breast of man, one must evaluate the region and try to identify the cause. In cases of contusion or nipple of the hallway, you should put cold compresses on the local 2 to 3 times per day and using medicine for the pain as Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Aspirin, for example.
In cases of mastitis, a cyst, or fibroadenoma should go to the doctor to do tests and evaluate the need to use drugs or do surgery. In addition, it is important to remember that you should always consult a doctor in cases of lump in the breast.